The Basic Karting Techniques Course is a general beginning karting course for all ages (10 to??? years old). Course is taught in the 9hp Honda Righetti Ridolphi Karts. A basic understanding kart control. Course Outline:
- Classroom Session Covering:
- The human sensor
- Basic line theory
- Karting safety
- Track Walk - Participants walk the track learning the proper line and the initial phase of how to evaluate the line to be driven.
- Lead and Follow Sessions (largest part of the course) - Participants will learn proper cornering, braking and acceleration techniques through instruction and application. After every session the participant receives detailed feedback from the instructor. Students are amazed at how quickly their lap times improve.
Participants will have mastered most of the above techniques and be ready to progress to the Advanced Karting Techniques Course. Safety Equipment: Helmets, gloves, and neck collars are provided. Participants are required to wear safety gear, long sleeve shirts, and closed toe shoes.
High Performance-Advanced Karting Techniques Class - Max students per instructor 3 average 2 $395 for half day $295 with your own kart
The Advanced Karting Techniques Class starts where the basic class left off and starts to prepare the participant for racing. This course is for the novice racer or the student who wants to enter racing. Course starts in the Honda 9hp Righetti Ridolphi Karts and quickly transitions to the Shifter Karts. Course Outline:
- Classroom Session Covering:
- Advanced line theory
- Segments of a turn
- Segments of the track
- Passing techniques
- Race start
- Basic Chassis Analysis and Set-up
- Track Walk - Participants will re-familiarize themselves with the track and learn proper passing technique, strategy and location.
- Lead and Follow, Passing, and Start Session - Participants will start to practice advanced line theory, passing strategies, and basic racing techniques. At the start of every session, students will be given techniques to practice. After every session the participant receives detailed feedback from the instructor. Students will refine their line, braking, accelerating, and rolling starts.
Students will graduate ready to go on to the Advanced Lapping Sessions or their first race. Safety Equipment: Helmets, gloves, and neck collars are provided. Participants are required to wear safety gear, long sleeve shirts, and closed toe shoes.
Advanced Lapping - Max students per instructor 3 average 2 $425 half day school $800 full day school $295 half day with personal kart $590 full day with personal kart
The Advanced Lapping Class is a way for students to practice what they have learned in the Advanced Karting Techniques Class with instructor feedback. The class is geared for the Novice to Intermediate racer or the student who is going to enter their first race. Students will practice passing, starts, and proper lines. Students will refine their lines, braking, accelerating, passing, qualifying, rolling starts, and standing starts. Almost all of the time is spent in a Kart.
Set-up Class - A Half Day - max 8 students per instructor - B Half Day - max 4 students per instructor $340 - A Half Day $340 - B Half Day (unless same day then $300)
Set-up Class A - Students will learn the basics of kart set-up and start to practice them. Course Outline:
- Classroom Session
- Basic Kart Preparation
- Maintenance between practice and the race.
- Basic Chassis Set-up
- Changes and their Cause and Effect
- Recording and documenting changes
- Track Test - Students will watch changes being made and see changes to the lap time and the handling of the Kart.
Set-up Class B (must have graduated from A) -Student will apply what they have learned to their own karts with instructor feedback. Students will make changes to their own kart, communicate changes to the instructor and pick the next change with the instructor. Students should leave this course with an understanding of possible changes and the experience of what each of these changes feels like.
Micron/Alfano User Class - Half Day (or until done depending on # of students) max students per instructor 8 $340
Learn to use your data system for more than just a lap timer. Course Outline:
- Class Room
- Basic Set-up
- Math Channels
- Pre-outing calibration and set-up
- Multi-session viewing
- Track segments
- Driver Evaluation
- Track - Two sessions of driving and taking data.
- User (if they bring their kart and a laptop) will be downloading data, setting up and calibrating between sessions, starting to use their creativity to use the data system to look at and evaluate set-up changes and evaluate their driving.
Instructor: Head instructor Lat Franklin has over 20 years racing experience in different forms of racing as a driver, engineer, and mechanic. He has raced everything from Karts to Formula Cars to Dirt and Pavement Midgets to Stock Cars. He is a degreed Mechanical Engineer who has taught Vehicle Dynamics at the University of Arizona. He has the unique ability to integrate driving and set-up with the ability to define why different things feel and react the way they do.